Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week of the Lemon

Baby Mangum is now 3.42 inches and weighs 1.5 oz. apparently he/she is the size of a lemon! Another milestone we reached this week is that I am officially in the second trimester and I am feeling lots better :) 

 My first official pregnancy photo! 

The only downside is that it has been 104 degrees here in Independence, making it not too comfortable to be outside for long periods of time. But, we did brave the heat and ventured outdoors to go to the Kansas City Shakespearean Festival. 

Shakespeare is a family tradition of mine, my family and I have attended the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah every summer of my life. We usually saw three plays at the outdoor Randall Theatre as well as the free green show. This was our summer vacation and I looked forward to it every year.  We would read the plays beforehand and discuss them so Melly and I understood what was going on (Shakespeare was a lot for little girls to take in). My all time favorite was a production of A Midsummer Nights Dream- I attempted to explain to Cody why it was so good but I failed miserably, so just trust me when I say it was good.

Obviously I will not be able to attend this year, so Cody was able to find a local Shakespeare Festival that puts on two plays in a park in Kansas City. The night we chose to attend they put on A Midsummer Nights Dream. We decided to make a night of it and stopped to get noodles for dinner to take with us to the park. The play was free and the seating was on a first come first served basis so we got there early and laid out our beach towels (somehow we got to Independence without a blanket). We sat and ate and talked for a couple of hours before the play began and we were thankful for every gust of wind, boy was it hot!

Cody and I with our official 'I gave of my own free WILL' Shakespeare stickers (they were accepting donations). 
 
We enjoyed the night and the play was done well. There were several teenagers associated with the young Shakespeare program that sat behind us; they were pretty entertaining with lots of screaming and cheering.

The morning of the 4th was pretty boring. There were no parades to go to around here :( Cody and I ended up going to a flee market and looking around and then coming home to make red velvet cookies. I found a recipe for them on pinterest a while ago and have been meaning to make them, we decided the 4th was a great day to do that since they are red and white :) 

They look kinda thin, but they are so good! If you have a chance, make them! You won't regret it!

That night we went to the Independence fireworks sponsored by none other than the Mormon Visitors Center! We camped out with our beach towels and red velvet cookies and enjoyed the bright display of fireworks. Happy late 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. You don't even look pregnant at all! But I totally see the glow... ;) Lucky for you, you won't be around Marilyn Paine to hear her tell you how huge you are over and over and over... In my opinion, no pregnant woman is "huge". Ever. I'll have to make those cookies!

    ReplyDelete