Sunday, October 9, 2011

Our Recent Adventures

This month has been an exciting one! So exciting that I haven't had time to update our blog, so here we go...

Cody and I decided to venture into Wisconsin to find a cheese factory. We decided on Bass Lake Cheese Factory because it was the closest (about 45 min. away) and because you can watch the workers make the cheese. We were shocked when we pulled up to the factory and saw 75 motorcycles parked outside. Apparently it was Harley Day at Bass Lake Cheese Factory. We had come too far to turn around so we held our breath as we walked through the cloud of smoke (from the motorcycles and from their cigarettes) to the entrance. Inside we found a variety of cheeses. We purchased cheese curds, cheddar gouda, garlic and onion, truffle, and string cheese and have had fun trying them all. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the cheese factory, I was too scared of the Harley people :)

Our next adventure was a Twins Game with Sean and Danielle McCleary. The Twins had lost 99 games so we must have been their good luck charm because they didn't make it to 100 on this game. The stadium is in downtown Minneapolis and we had a nice view of the buildings from our seats inside the stadium. It was a pleasant night temperature wise and we had a great time!
Twins Game

View of Minneapolis from the stadium 

My family always gets together before the Sunday morning session of General Conference and has a big breakfast and then watches conference together. Since we are not living by our families, we decided to invite some friends over to eat breakfast and watch General Conference with us.

Watching Conference

Our Conference entertainment. This is Carter (Sean and Danielle's son) and Michael. Carter loved smelling the flowers, seeing himself in the mirror, and playing with stickers. 

The Conference group- Adam and Natalie, Rob and Moriah, me and Cody, Danielle Sean and Carter, and Vanessa and Michael

Our most recent adventure was to see a movie at the Riverview Theater. This theater was originally built in the 1940s but has been updated. It has only one theater but it is at least twice the size as a normal movie theater. Though it has been updated it has an old movie feel with an older looking marquee and our tickets were taken by a man in a tuxedo. We happened to attend the premier of Harry Potter and a local group who makes costumes and dresses up for occasions came in their Potter costumes.

Harry Potter characters

Our final adventure for this post is that I found a job! I am working at a K-12 charter school in Minneapolis helping special education students. It keeps me very busy and on my toes because I am working with a student in 1st grade, a student in 3rd grade, a student in 8th grade, and I am also helping with the middle/high school transitions class. I feel like I am running all over the school, but am happy to be able to work with so many different students. The first week was a little crazy trying to figure out my schedule and also meet kids, but now that I have that figured out I feel much more confident. I love the kids I work with, they make me laugh every day. It has been my goal to remember at least one funny thing to tell Cody at the end of the day and so far I haven't had a problem finding things to tell him. 
I'll share one of many funny things that happened this week. A 7th grade student was giving a presentation on his future career ambitions. The career he picked requires a masters degree and one of the teachers asked him where he is planning on going to college. He told us that there is a university in Phoenix that he has heard of that he wants to go to- the University of Phoenix. When asked about how he felt taking online classes he replied that the university was in Phoenix and that he would be moving to Arizona for his schooling :) It's a good thing that he is in 7th grade and has some time to learn about the University of Phoenix (an online college) before he applies for school :)

As you can tell we have been very busy, but are enjoying our time here in Minnesota.

2 comments:

  1. I know I just heard this over the phone, but so exciting to read it again! The Twins game looks fun- you guys have really enjoyed your time. Your apron is darling by the way. I miss you but I'm glad you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure. Everything looks like a blast. Congrats on the job. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete