Last week we decided to venture into Kansas City to go to the Hallmark Visitors Center (you know, the people that make the cards). There was a fun exhibit with cards dating back to 1910, Christmas trees made of cards, and a machine that we could watch making embossed cards. There was also a small machine that made bows that we could then take home. I was very impressed because our visit was free and they gave us a recordable book on our way out. These are the books that you record your voice on and then a child is able to push the button and hear you read the story. I was excited about this, and in my excitement left it somewhere in the mall next door :( I guess we'll have to go back to stock up on bows and books!
Our adventure this weekend took us to some church history sites. We drove to Adam-ondi-Ahman in the pouring rain and I was worried that we wouldn't be able to stay long- it is down a dirt road and we would be walking in the dirt. Thankfully it stopped raining by the time we got there and wasn't too hot yet, so we lucked out! We were able to view the valley from two different areas and think about what had been there before and what will be there soon. At one point I even thought I heard a choir singing. As I listened harder Cody pointed out to me that the noise was a swarm of bugs over my head :) Both Cody and I had been here previously with our families, and we both remarked on how it had changed from what we remember. I'm sure it and we will change a lot more before we are able to visit again.
View One
The view from our second lookout
This is where I heard the 'Heavenly Choir'
A butterfly on Cody's head
We then drove to Haun's Mill. Unfortunately there wasn't much there, just a stone plaque. We did learn from another family that drove up while we were there that the church just purchased the area a few weeks ago so maybe there will be more in the future. We drove to Haun's Mill behind a couple who are here on vacation from England. They were very nice and told us about their trip and conversion story. A few weeks ago they flew in to New York and are now driving across the country and stopping to see church history sites on their way to Seattle. They were converted to the church 30 years ago by a missionary who now lives in Seattle and they have come many times to visit him and his family. Where do you think their next stop will be? They are on their way to Omaha, Nebraska to go to the Winter Quarters Visitor Center where Melanie is! I told them to look for Sister Lamb and to tell her hello and that we love her. I really hope they get to take a tour from Melly!
Next up: Liberty Jail and the new Kansas City Temple!

I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip- I hope that couple found Melanie too!
ReplyDelete